Greatest Gifts

Greatest Gifts

Sunday, October 14, 2012

Happy 40th West Highland!

One of the best things about turning 40 tomorrow is I am also sharing this 40th birthday with my church West Highland Baptist Church. We are celebrating 40 years together. In honor of the 40 th celebrations I had written a poem about the church and it's growth over 40 years. Tonight I had the pleasure of sharing this with everyone who attended the Anniversary Banquet. I now would like to share this with everyone. Happy Anniversary to the a great church, I am proud to say I belong to. May God Bless West Highland Baptist Church with 40 more years plus many more of many many blessings! 


40 Years of West Highland
Listen folks to the tale I have for you
that started back in 1972
with a group one day 
that came to pray
for the spiritually lost,
to build them a place
to learn of the Lord's Grace
And so it began in October 72 
at Westwood School
Is that not cool?
Shortly after it was Pastor Baxter who took the lead
to over see every spiritual need
and still they grew
The group needed more space to keep the crowd merry
they began to meet at Terry Berry
and still they grew
They prayed He'd know what to do
And the Lord to them He told
build a church at Garth and Lime ridge Road 
the ground was broke in late 74
but the church did not open it's door
until June 1975
When West Highland came alive!
And still they grew.
After a small debate in 78
Pastor Smith came on board
and following direction from the Lord
brought Ministries and classes
to the masses.

Now in 1982 to meet West Highland’s ever changing list
A new Pastor was called to serve
And in came Pastor Lambert Baptist.
Pastor Lambert took West Highland round a curve
And still they grew
With new classes on how to serve
More people came to worship
Then it was time to move to a place more hip
High and grand 
Is where West Highland must stand
In 1987, a gift from Heaven,
The building in which we now meet
Opened its doors to one thousand at least
And still they grew
In 1994 Pastor Lambert could stay no more
His call was to be of service in a land far away
But the church members would not go astray
Still 3 years more
 From 1997 to 2004 
Then in came Pastor Bartlett to take the lead
And cover West Highland’s every need, 
And still they grew
With lots more of the Lord’s work planned 
Pastor John Mahaffey came on board with his own vision in sight 
In early 2008 with great delight
He helped the office relocate to St. Elizabeth Village
Which opened up the space for any age 
To learn of God’s Amazing Grace
It was here that Vision 20/20 came to face.
In hopes to make The Word Fully Known
So now my tale is done
Let’s celebrate as we anticipate
The next branch of His plan
Where ever You take Pastor John and the West Highland clan,
Lord, I pray our church stays strong and true to You!
Thank You Lord for the call to the original group in 1972!

No comments:

Post a Comment

This poetry is not only Praise to God but it is also a testimony of His work in my life. Even when I haven't paid attention, He was there through it all. God Loves Me even though I am not perfect and that's enough for me.

About Me

My photo
We all have gifts given to us by The Lord God above even before we were a glint in our parents eye. The Lord designed each one of us to have a gift. What we choose to do with the gifts he gives us is what matters. I chose to share my gift with the world. I'm not a professional. I have had no educational training in poetry writing other than basic english that they teach you in school. All my poems are inspired by God's word and the desire to have a better relationship with him. I have also been inspired by life events that God has led me to healing for. I am a mother of 2 boys trying to do my best to please the father and raise my boys to live the same way.